Sunday, September 17, 2006

back

hello, dear blog,

I'm finally back from my month and a half of travelling and can once again settle into the routine of living in Taiwan and posting thoughts about it. Since I didn't think to start a blog until the last month or so of my Fulbright most of this blog seems to relate more about me in Fiji or me in transit, but now it can begin, or re-begin, or return to, its original use... which is detailing Taiwan. I arrived back in Taipei on the 13th, after taking a flight on September 11. Taking the exact same route (Boston-LA) as one of the planes used in the terrorist attacks was, rather than being scary, just very sad. After having lived in Israel I've taken on the perhaps unhealthy but also realistic attitude that I should never be afraid a catastrophe will happen to me... so instead of berating myself for booking the 11th I watched CNN talk to the mothers and husbands of those who died.
I arrived in Taipei during the beginning of a tropical storm, which actually was scary, and bouncy. Since then I've settled into a cheap bedroom with a roommate, like college, except that she is 38 and very quiet and thoughtful. My next move is to get to know some of the people in my program, although they all seem to all be intent on speaking only Chinese to me and each other... indicating how much more serious they are and making me automatically resent them. But I'm sure I will get more into it once classes start.
As for my month of the Trans-Siberian, I will remember it forever. Here, a picture of Lenin in solid chocolate in St. Petersberg, child statues at the feet of a boddhisattva in Japan, a Shaman worship mound with the skull of a horse at the top of a mountain in Mongolia, and a length of slightly more wild Great Wall.









Best place to eat (other than the Taipei night markets of course): on the street in Shanghai, with stir fried stinky dofu, a bottle of beer, and plastic bags for plates.

Most awe-striking place: Moscow's Red Square, which made me think the Mall in Washington really doesn't get the awe thing (perhaps because of the nature of democracy... hmm).

Most peaceful place: in a ger tent in Mongolia with the fire on and the wind whipping the fabric.

Most uncomfortable place: 3 days straight on the train from Lake Baikal to Moscow.

No comments: