Thursday, September 21, 2006

doodles between watching lost




Some new ideas, or reiterations of old ones really...

My first few days back in Taiwan have been marked by downloading and watching Lost and hiking up and down the cliff at the top of which my apartment is situated. And thinking about graduate schools. Applying to MFA programs means writing artist statements, and writing artist statements means giving reasons for the art that I do. Now that I'm forced to think about it, suddenly every piece of work is given new meaning... but I have no idea if I am truly tapping into my subconscious or am just accidently making things up that seem to fit. Do the disembodied feet symbolize displacement? Do the tightrope walkers symbolize living between two cultures as a biracial expat??? Hopefully I'll come up with something that doesn't ring too false, and in the meantime keep doodling until school starts on Monday.

Schools I'm thinking of: Penn State, Yale, Columbia, California Institute of Art, Parsons, Maryland Institute, Art Institute of Chicago, Virginia Commonwealth University

No comments: