Thursday, July 06, 2006

rainforest fiji



Why do they have to put the capital on the side of Fiji that rains all the time? I think its a common phenomenon with islands--for some reason half of the island is dry and the other wet. I know some of the islands in Hawaii are like this. So Fiji is too...and my parents live on the wet side. It means that I don't get to do all the sunbathing I was planning for when I got here but it also means there are some beautiful rainforests in the area. Went hiking in one on a path to the communty waterhole, where there is a long rope hanging over this small, but deep, pool in the middle of the forest. I jumped in with all my clothes on and was about to make the trek home shivering and wet, but my father insisted on giving me his shirt... so he walked back, belly and all, shirtless. Its considered rude for a man to go bare-breasted in public here, though, so by the time we got out of the jungle I had to give the shirt back and wear a blanket for the ride home. I expect that's considered rude too... but I guess the rudenss of a girl wearing a blanket for a shirt is trumped by that of a chubby man without one. :)

No comments: