Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Illustration Friday: Dance



This Illustration Friday served as a way to force me into making another panel design for my elementary school's cafeteria wall before I leave. I already made one a little while ago by looking at videos of my kids doing aboriginal dance, and decided to kill two birds with one stone by designing another and attempting to catch the joy and vibrancy of Taiwanese children dancing in this illustration. The first design looks better, I think, but only because I messed with the saturation too much on this one with Photoshop... in reality the colors are similar. I especially like how the kids get all dressed up in their loincloths and bells and headbands, but still wear their little sneakers underneath it all. I included that in the design--just to show they are real children, not just symbols of aboriginal culture. Here are some of the real students and their sneakers:

3 comments:

Debbie said...

How wonderful!! The panel is great and loved how you included a picture of your delightful students!

claudine hellmuth said...

lovely! there is great movement in that artwork. I am sure it will make a wonderful mural.

Weichuen You said...

When I first looked at your illo, I thought, "This is so familiar..." Then I realized it is from my own culture:-). Really lovely!