Thursday, June 29, 2006

fiji


I flew into Fiji Tuesday morning and since then have been getting adjusted to this new country that is now, technically, "home". Everybody has heard of Fiji, but I think that it is one country that is overshadowed by its image more than any other. Nobody knows anything about Fijian culture or Fijian language or even about Fiji as a nation: instead it is seen across the world as a symbol. So, coming into Fiji, I half expected to be immersed in the tropical palm tree paradise that is the symbol of the island. In reality the island is extremely poor and, obviously, much more nuanced. I won't be able to get to know Fiji half as well as I've gotten to know Taiwan but we'll see how it goes.
Above is a picture I took from the plane: sunrise as I came into Nadi airport, with clouds above and below.

No comments: