Wednesday, June 07, 2006

a mural for my elementary school's cafeteria



if everything goes to plan this will be transformed into a mural on the school's cafeteria walls. I videotaped some of my students performing a traditional aboriginal Taiyal dance and then froze the frame every couple of seconds to sketch their figures. This is just pen and colored pencil. I'm realizing as I look at this blog that almost every post (every post?) is about children. I suppose that is expected, as they are my companions in every way here. Yesterday they taught me how to bead a bracelet. A week ago they taught me an aboriginal dance--to be danced to the tune of "Age of Innocence". (Remember that 80s song? The tune is actually a Taiwanese aboriginal tune and the band was sued because of it. The song writers were of a different tribe than mine but I'm proud to say they won... however everybody here still loves the song! Perhaps because it is one of the only examples of Taiwanese aboriginal traditions infiltrating mass/pop/Western culture. Sad that the only time that should happen is with some Eurotrash band stealing their music. But at least now I know an awesome dance to the song.)

2 comments:

Susan Schwake said...

this is beautiful and inspired. i don't admire many murals, as they fall short, but this one hits. it. on. the. head! for space and concept and i am sure judging by the other things in your site, execution!
bravo!!!!!

Susan Schwake said...

this is beautiful and inspired. i don't admire many murals, as they fall short, but this one hits. it. on. the. head! for space and concept and i am sure judging by the other things in your site, execution!
bravo!!!!!