Thursday, June 01, 2006

intro


I'm an artist and teacher now in my last month of a fulbright scholarship in taiwan. Of course, 10 months into it, I only now get the idea to share my experience in a blog... But this blog is devoted to the idea that, as amazing as the last 10 months have been, the ones in the future will be even more exciting and blogworthy.

Introductory descriptions:

I'm an American living in Yilan county as an ETA (English Teaching Assistant), one of the branches and forms a Junior Fulbright Scholarship can take. I'm half Taiwanese and half white, and I'm currently living in a tiny aboriginal village populated by members of the Taiyal tribe, one of 11 (13?) recognized aboriginal tribes in Taiwan. I'm 23, I love and hate teaching, I love art, I have adopted a dog, I have a long term boyfriend in Japan, I've had two exhibitions here so far, I just had a knee surgery, I have eaten the weirdest things here.

Things I have eaten at my next door neighbor's house:

flying squirrel
fish steeped in vinegar
beer with ice cubes
wild boar
wild goat
wild deerlike mountain creature of Taiwan
snail

3 comments:

Searcher said...

Hey never too late to start a blog :) Hope you post more about your time spent in Taiwan. I am interested in reading more postings about what's it is like to be a teacher in Taiwan. As you know already, there's such a hunger for American teachers who speaks fluent English. Why love and hate teaching at the same time?

Katherine Mann said...

I'll definitely post more about that then! Love and hate teaching... I think that teaching is inherently a job that is to be loved and hated, because it is so immensely rewarding and satisfying, but at the same time so difficult and frustrating. I have had classes where the disclipline problems are so bad that I've cried. And kids aren't angels. They can be mean and petty too. But at the same time I love teaching because its made me a better and bigger person. Getting to know kids, specifically Taiwanese kids, specifically aboriginal Taiwanese kids, has made this experience the rich one that it is. I'm so glad I'm here and if you have a chance to do something similar, go for it!

Weichuen You said...

I think you are very courageous to teach in a remote area. Though I live in Taipei, I really like visiting those aboriginal villages out there (and to be honest, I do not do that often.) I want to wish you a lot of good luck though the end of the semester is approaching:-). I believe what you have experienced here will become inspirations for your creation in the future.

Go on to have fun!